How to Sign Documents
- E-Signing Firm-Prepared Documents
- Editing Your E-Signature
- Could I Use My ITIN Instead of My SSN for the KBA?
- The Document Is Pending E-Signature, but There Are No Signature Fields
Electronic signatures have been recognized by law in the U.S., Canada, Europe and Australia since the early 2000s. An e-signature is just as valid as a regular signature on paper. This means you no longer need to take time from your busy schedule to drop by your accountant’s office or to snail-mail. Instead, sign any document directly on your client portal.
If a document needs your e-signature, a notification on your dashboard lets you know. Click it to review the doc.
All documents needing signatures are displayed in Documents in the Waiting for action section.
In Documents, you’ll see...
- NAME: the document’s name
- STATUS: the document’s status
E-Signing Firm-Prepared Documents
To review and sign a document:
1. Click on the pencil icon to the far right of the document’s name.
2. Review the content, then click the fields to e-sign where requested. A Fields to fill counter at the top helps you along. Enter your signature and initials just once; they are then used for subsequent documents.
3. Click Next to highlight the next field. Note: You cannot sign a document until all fields are filled in.
4. Once all fields are filled in, click FINISH. If your accountant has requested KBA, click FINISH WITH KBA. Answer the questions to verify your identity, then click FINISH. You get two attempts to pass KBA and need to answer at least three out of five questions correctly.
You’ll see a notification at the top of the page when the document has been successfully signed.
Don’t want to sign? Click Decline to sign, and then confirm by clicking OPT-OUT OF ELECTRONIC SIGNATURE.Get in touch with the firm you use to discuss other options.
Editing Your E-Signature
Once you sign and initial a document, your e-signature and initials are used in subsequent docs when you click in the required fields.
If you want to edit your initials or signature, click in the required field, make your changes, then press Insert. Your signature or initials are then updated everywhere on the doc.
Could I Use My ITIN Instead of My SSN for KBA?
No. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is issued to an individual for taxation purposes only. ITINs are not meant to be used as identification for obtaining credit. Credit systems won’t recognize them as anything other than an incorrect SSN, so they cannot be used for KBA.
The Document Is Pending E-Signature, but There Are No Signature Fields
If a document is pending signature, but there are no e-signature fields, either you don’t need to sign it or you must access the same account from another linked email address (for more details, go here).
Sometimes a preparer needs signatures from both account users (e.g., spouses) or just one. If a signature was requested from the other user, and they haven’t signed yet, you won’t see any e-signature fields on your end. The document will remain in Pending E-Signature status until the other user has signed.